Network-wide ad blocking via your own Linux hardware
The Pi-hole® is a DNS sinkhole that protects your devices from unwanted content, without installing any client-side software.
- Easy-to-install: our versatile installer walks you through the process and takes less than ten minutes
- Resolute: content is blocked in non-browser locations, such as ad-laden mobile apps and smart TVs
- Responsive: seamlessly speeds up the feel of everyday browsing by caching DNS queries
- Lightweight: runs smoothly with minimal hardware and software requirements
- Robust: a command-line interface that is quality assured for interoperability
- Insightful: a beautiful responsive Web Interface dashboard to view and control your Pi-hole
- Versatile: can optionally function as a DHCP server, ensuring all your devices are protected automatically
- Scalable: capable of handling hundreds of millions of queries when installed on server-grade hardware
- Modern: blocks ads over both IPv4 and IPv6
- Free: open-source software which helps ensure you are the sole person in control of your privacy
Pi-hole is free, but powered by your support¶
There are many reoccurring costs involved with maintaining free, open-source, and privacy respecting software; expenses which our volunteer developers pitch in to cover out-of-pocket. This is just one example of how strongly we feel about our software, as well as the importance of keeping it maintained.
Make no mistake: your support is absolutely vital to help keep us innovating!
Sending a donation using our links below is extremely helpful in offsetting a portion of our monthly expenses:
If you'd rather not donate (which is okay!), there are other ways you can help support us:
- Patreon Become a patron for rewards
- Digital Ocean new account credits with our affiliate link
- Stickermule earn a $10 credit after your first purchase
- Amazon affiliate link
- Spreading the word about our software, and how you have benefited from it
Contributing via GitHub¶
We welcome everyone to contribute to issue reports, suggest new features, and create pull requests.
If you have something to add - anything from a typo through to a whole new feature, we're happy to check it out! Just make sure to fill out our template when submitting your request; the questions that it asks will help the volunteers quickly understand what you're aiming to achieve.
You'll find that the install script and the debug script have an abundance of comments, which will help you better understand how Pi-hole works. They're also a valuable resource to those who want to learn how to write scripts or code a program! We encourage anyone who likes to tinker to read through it, and submit a pull request for us to review.