Contributing on GitHub
Please read and understand the contribution guide before creating an issue or pull request.
- Our goal for Pi-hole is stability before features. This means we focus on squashing critical bugs before adding new features. Often, we can do both in tandem, but bugs will take priority over a new feature.
- Pi-hole is open source and powered by donations , and as such, we give our free time to build, maintain, and provide user support for this project. It would be extremely unfair for us to suffer abuse or anger for our hard work, so please take a moment to consider that.
- Please be considerate towards the developers and other users when raising issues or presenting pull requests.
- Respect our decision(s), and do not be upset or abusive if your submission is not used
When requesting or submitting new features, first consider whether it might be useful to others. Open source projects are used by many people, who may have entirely different needs to your own. Think about whether or not your feature is likely to be used by other users of the project.
Before filing an issue:¶
- Attempt to replicate and document the problem, to ensure that it wasn't a coincidental incident.
- Check to make sure your feature suggestion isn't already present within the project.
- Check the pull requests tab to ensure that the bug doesn't have a fix in progress.
- Check the pull requests tab to ensure that the feature isn't already in progress.
Before submitting a pull request:¶
- Check the codebase to ensure that your feature doesn't already exist.
- Check the pull requests to ensure that another person hasn't already submitted the feature or fix.
- Read and understand the DCO guidelines for the project.
- Submit Pull Requests to the development branch only.
- Before Submitting your Pull Request, merge
developmentwith your new branch and fix any conflicts. (Make sure you don't break anything in development!)
- Please use the Google Style Guide for Shell for your code submission styles.
- Commit Unix line endings.
- Please use the Pi-hole brand: Pi-hole (Take a special look at the capitalized 'P' and a low 'h' with a hyphen)
- For Beginners: see here how to forking and clone from GitHub
- (Optional fun) keep to the theme of Star Trek/black holes/gravity.